[amsat-bb] Re: Field Day mode for AO-51

Gary "Joe" Mayfield gary_mayfield at hotmail.com
Tue May 4 20:22:54 PDT 2010

I have L band gear.  When the bird is in L/U Luc and I have a great time
talking to each other.  When the bird is in V/U I'll make half a dozen or
more contacts in a pass.  I voted for mode L, because I didn't believe V/U
was an option and S band is becoming too full of interference.

I have a couple questions:

1.  The folks who can't eek out a contact with the handheld and Arrow during
Field Day, have you practiced?  It's how I have done it the last couple of
years without that much trouble, patience and timing are the keys :-).  We
have a good Field Day location where I can see down to the horizon.

2.  Has the single contact per FM bird rule really helped anyone?  In the
old days a couple big stations got on and essentially ran the bird.  Is it
fair?  NO! but they handed out a lot of QSOs and we seemed to get more AMSAT
Field Day entries as well.

The one bird one contact has been a noble experiment, maybe it is time to
examine the results.

Hats off to the controllers for starting the discussion!

73, Just My Thoughts,
Joe kk0sd