[amsat-bb] Re: AO-51 update

Mark L. Hammond marklhammond at gmail.com
Mon May 3 11:17:50 PDT 2010

Tim,

Your point is valid.  There is another way to look at this, though.
In general I find that on Field Day the mode FM birds are NOT a good
way to show 2-way satellite communications to a group or club.  I have
tried to make a contact (portable, handheld operations) for the last
few years, and it's been a bust.   I have generally gone to just
receiving the birds, rather than creating an expectation for a contact
that I can't deliver.

And AO-51 isn't the only operational bird...so putting the bird into
mode L/S or L/U might actually allow more stations to make contacts on
Field Day.

Food for thought :)

Mark N8MH

--