[amsat-bb] Re: Life Members

Anthony Monteiro aa2tx at comcast.net
Sun Jan 17 09:27:16 PST 2010

At 12:03 PM 1/17/2010, Glen Zook wrote:
>Based on the consumer price index, the $50 that I spent for my life
>membership back around 1970 is today the equivalent of right at
>$3300!  That is 66 times in "absolute dollars".  Compare that to the
>present life membership fee of $880.  That means that we who
>obtained our life memberships back in the early 1970s paid 3.75
>times what new life members are paying.
>If you don't believe these figures then do the calculations on the
>following website:

Hi Glen,

I appreciate your sentiment about the fact that
AMSAT needed the money back then but I don't think
your math is correct. $1 in 1970 is equivalent to
around $5.50 - $6.00 in todays dollars depending
on how you compare it.

Using the "Measuring Worth" web site, the CPI
equivalent value of $50 in 1970 is $277.17
in 2009 dollars.

Tony AA2TX
AMSAT VP Engineering