[amsat-bb] Re: AO-51 Signal Strength Post Flip

B J top_gun_canada at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 10 07:59:09 PST 2010

--- On Tue, 2/9/10, Auke de Jong, VE6PWN <sparkycivic at shaw.ca> wrote:

> From: Auke de Jong, VE6PWN <sparkycivic at shaw.ca>
> Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: AO-51 Signal Strength Post Flip
> To: amsat-bb at amsat.org
>     Another observation
> from DO33 (yo Bernhardt),

Greetings.  It's nice to hear from a fellow Edmontonian.

  I've always had trouble
> hearing this bird well enough to work from my home station,
> as I have my
> antennas at fixed elevation, and manually-rotated via
> channelmaster... AO-51
> has been consistently easier to hear AFTER it has passed
> overhead on
> ascending passes.  Between AOS and peak-elevation,
> it's always just above my
> noise.  I don't have any observations about descending
> passes because I'm
> not up early enough to try those;) .      I
> also can't say how that compares
> to pre-flip, as I never heard it well enough to work,
> except on very low
> passes, and didn't keep notes.

I live beside one of the biggest shopping centres in the city and I've got no obstructions from due N to nearly due NW for lower elevation passes.  At much higher angles, I can follow it from nearly directly overhead to SSW.

In the past, I could tell when AO-51 was within view because the background noise would drop significantly.  Since I'm operating a portable station, I use that to track it.  Lately, it hasn't been as easy.

>     I actually had the bird all to myself a few
> weeks ago, while everyone
> from the USA already had LOS, and I had almost
> full-quieting for many
> minutes in a row that time, until my LOS.  This is
> what struck me as being a
> significant observation!

I've noticed that it's been rather quiet during later morning passes (say, after 1500 UTC).

BTW, were you at the flea market at the Yellowhead Inn this past Saturday?  I've been to each one since I got my callsign 5 years ago and I'm sure that this one had the most people.  I was looking for a manual HF + 6 m tuner but couldn't fine one, but there were lots of other items that I bought that I could use.

It was a good opportunity to meet hams in person that I'd spoken to by radio, including some from local nets.  It was certainly a good way to spend two hours.