[amsat-bb] Re: Expanding Radio AMSAT's to include telescope.

Luc Leblanc lucleblanc6 at videotron.ca
Tue Aug 17 18:04:01 PDT 2010

On 17 Aug 2010 at 20:24, Keith Sloan wrote:

Date sent:      	Tue, 17 Aug 2010 20:24:02 +0100
From:           	Keith Sloan <keith at sloan-home.co.uk>
Subject:        	[amsat-bb]  Expanding Radio AMSAT's to include telescope.
To:             	amsat-bb at amsat.org

> Is there any reason why a future Amatuer Radio Satellite could not
> include a small telescope and CCD imaging.
> Would seem to me to be more productive and useful than just exchanging
> contact details. After all there are
> Weather Satellites.
Satellite spin and thumbling for some with a 10 minutes effective pass make's pictures collecting in real time hard to download at 1200 and
even at 9600 bauds.

ISS was sending SSTV pictures at a rate of 3 or 4 per pass and it was still pictures with a very good quality no spinning or thumbling and
camera was always pointed at the same point as iss is stabilized on 3 axis

An HEO or MEO satelite will be more suitable for this task but the next HEO launch seems not to be for tomorrow.

Luc Leblanc VE2DWE
Skype VE2DWE
Message sent at 0104Z August 18 2010