[amsat-bb] Arecibo and circular polarization using cheap yagis

Douglas Quagliana dquagliana at aol.com
Thu Apr 15 13:16:26 PDT 2010

I heard Arecibo would be using circular polarization, but I haven't heard
if it will be left or right-handed circular polarization.

I also heard that there's a way to do circular polarization with the popular
"cheap yagis."  Apparently the details are in an article in the April 1999
issue of CQ VHF "Cheap Circular Polarization? It Can Be Done" on pages
66-69.

Is there anyone on the list that has this back issue that can tell me what
the method is that is described in this article? Is it a physical
quarter-wave
displacement on the same boom? Two booms with a quarter-wave coax delay?
Something else? How is the circular polarization done with the cheap yagis?

Douglas KA2UPW/5