[amsat-bb] Making a Circular Polarized antenna

Greg D. ko6th_greg at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 24 17:34:05 PDT 2009

Hi folks,

Just curious...

One of the ways to make a circularly polarized antenna is to feed two linearly polarized antennas in-phase, but mount one them 90 degrees rotated from the other, and 1/4 wavelength ahead of it.

Couldn't one also mount the two antennas 180 degrees rotated and 1/2 wavelength ahead?

The reason I ask is that I have some flat panel 2.4 ghz "Wi-Fi" antennas, and the mounting holes work out best that way.

The only effect I can think of is that the array will probably pick up signals from both left and right polarizations, which could actually be handy.

Greg  KO6TH

Windows 7: It helps you do more. Explore Windows 7.