[amsat-bb] AO40

rwmcgwier@gmail.com rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 16:17:58 PDT 2009

For the panels to be deployed, useful, etc. the spacecraft needs to be despun.  For the despun spacecraft to work, the thermal control system must work.  For the thermal control system to be trusted we would need to know that after the incidents the heat pipes were intact enough to function.

No one could make these determinations too a certainty and there would be an argument that would likely end with a decisio this is unacceptable risk.

Why is it so difficult for people to realize these are complex systems with huge numbers of interactions and dependencies and further, almost surely all such questions have been fully examined?