[amsat-bb] Re: Auto-Tune

Greg D. ko6th_greg at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 30 00:08:59 PST 2009

I believe that automatic tuning of the downlink receiver will only work with FM, as an output of the FM discriminator can be used to give an error (difference) signal for tuning.  I don't believe this is possible with an arbitrary SSB signal.  The only way SSB/CW can work is to have a known signal to analyze, such as digital or a single CW communication channel.  The software used to decode AO-40 middle beacon, for example, was capable of providing a tuning output, and I've seen CW and PSK sound card software do some limited tracking as well.  But a random (i.e. voice) SSB signal?  Don't think that's possible.

Greg  KO6TH