[amsat-bb] Re: Running Power to the Polarity Switch

i8cvs domenico.i8cvs at tin.it
Thu Nov 19 23:07:56 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Wing" <david at cdwing.com>
To: <amsat-bb at amsat.org>
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2009 4:58 AM
Subject: [amsat-bb] Running Power to the Polarity Switch

> I'm making good progress to get my KLM and Cushcraft antennas mounted on
> roof.I think I'll be able to wrap it all up this weekend.
Hi David,

Happy to hear about your progress.
> I do have a question about the polarity switch on the Cushcraft 30 element
> 440 antenna.  The switch has one lead that seems to be intended go to
> and the negative lead goes to the boom of the antenna.  Do I need connect
> -12vDC to the coax on my feed line in order to complete this circuit?

No .........run please a separate wire for the -12 volt DC

>  Seems
> easier to just disconnect the wire from the boom and run it to a dedicated
> -12vDC lead.

A dedicated wire for the -12 volt DC is best

  My switch on my KLM is fed with dedicated leads for + and -
> and it seems that would be the easiest way to deal with the Cushcraft.
Yes, I agree
> Am I missing something obvious here?  I have wires to spare and can so
> not a big savings to me to run the -12vDC on the coax if that is the
> why this was designed this way.
To run power supply to the above relay I have used a coax cable RG-58
The inner conductor for +12 volt DC and the braid for -12 Volt DC
> Pointers and suggestions welcome.
> 73, David
73" de

i8CVS Domenico