[amsat-bb] Re: AMSAT, ITAR, More AMSAT-NA Volunteers & Such .

Tue Nov 17 12:44:20 PST 2009

Actually, the most recent revision of the cubesat specification bumps a 1U
cubesat to 1.33 kg, or 4 kg for a 3U cubesat.  See section 1.1, pg 5.

But don't go crazy with that extra mass.  ;)

-----Original Message-----
From: amsat-bb-bounces at amsat.org [mailto:amsat-bb-bounces at amsat.org] On
Behalf Of Alex, N3SQ
Sent: 17 November, 2009 14:02
To: amsat-bb at amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: AMSAT, ITAR, More AMSAT-NA Volunteers & Such .

Michael, W4HIJ wrote:
>Interesting stuff Alex.
> I'm currently working on an FM satellite station as that's all I can
>afford at present but I hope some of the NextGen birds will carry linear
>transponders too. At any rate, it all sounds very exciting.
>Michael W4HIJ

ARISSat-1 is flying a V/U Linear transponder with the 10.7MHz IF SDX board,
the NextGen bus will fly the same equipment.
I'm hoping that we can fly an L/S Linear transponder & 10.7MHz IF Matrix as
payload on the NextGen satellites.

They're not going to be the most powerful transmitters nor the largest
antennas flown, since we've got a limited power, mass, and volume budget.

Remember, we're talking about a 3kg mass budget, a 3 liter (10cm x 10cm x
30cm) volume budget and an 8w DC power budget for the spacecraft
. . . Think the size of a loaf of bread.

Alex, N3NP