[amsat-bb] Re: Linear transponder versus FM transponder for LEO satellites

Patrick STODDARD (WD9EWK/VA7EWK) amsat-bb at wd9ewk.net
Mon Nov 9 22:08:53 PST 2009

Hello, Ib!

> It is interesting to note that there are far more operators on
> the FM transponder satellites than on the linear satellites in
> Low Earth Orbit.

Very true.  KO4MA spoke to this point at the AMSAT Symposium
in Baltimore last month, and I see this anytime I go out to hamfests
and struggle to work a couple of stations on nice VO-52 passes.
On AO-51 or SO-50 passes, many more than 2 QSOs are made.

I enjoy both the FM and linear satellites, and will continue working
both (including AO-7, which I'm now starting to try more often).
And, yes, all of this is 100% portable - perfect for road trips, and
air travel.  :-)

> Sumbandilasat it a very good satellite for operators
> working portable or mobile. The downlink is strong and it will be
> better to use it once things settle down.
> Every time we have a new satellite we have very many wanting to try
> it out.

The SO-67 passes this weekend certainly brought out a large
crowd.  Everyone trying to make some QSOs to give the new
satellite a workout.  :-)  The downlink is very easy to hear,
even if it takes a bit of work to get through the uplink.  I am
looking forward to more opportunities to work this satellite.

> I think we should say thank you to our friends in SA for a new one.

Yes, a big "thank you" to the SA AMSAT crew for the amateur
payload, and the South African government and taxpayers for
allowing this payload on their satellite.