[amsat-bb] G-5500 rotor motor intermittent

Michael Hatzakis Jr MD mike at hatzakis.net
Sat Jun 20 17:41:03 PDT 2009

Andrew and group,

Read this post and others about the 5500, and I am trying to figure out what
do with my rotor or my controller.

My rotor has become more and more intermittent over time, so I opened up my
cables and put molex connectors in line so I can debug.  I started with
impedance of the rotor.  My Elevation is working now and my rotation is not.
I pulled out the schematic and see that the rotor motor is on 4-5-6 with the
common on 6 each and the up/down or left/right on 4-5.  I measured the
impedance of 4 & 5 against 6, and the Ele was near 2-3 ohms and the Ele was
open.  I am wondering if this is an intermittent internal limit switch?
Taking my rotor apart is a huge deal, so I want to be sure I am looking at
this situation correctly and what else should I be looking for or measuring?

Michael  K3MH