[amsat-bb] Re: The Tragedy of the commons

Greg Dober almetco at comcast.net
Tue Feb 24 07:23:05 PST 2009

Not that bad of an idea.  Since I collect grids too, many times I just sit
back and see if there is a grid square that I need.  I try not to make more
than one or two calls if possible on an FM LEO.  Many times, even though I
am not in a rare grid square, (FN00), I will get a call.  I will try to
answer it in between transmissions, but most of the time I purposely-go
silent to allow others to work certain stations.

I find in a 10-minute pass, many contacts can be made.  I think common sense
could eliminate the problems.  If the bird is crowded, do not run a pileup
and CQ if you are not considered a rare grid square.  If someone needs you,
they will call you as you exchange with someone else.

In addition, I hear the wx forecast and other personal info being given
between operators.  One small exchange between two stations took 50 seconds.
Doesn't sound like a lot, but when you take 8 to 10% of a footprint to chat
abt the wx from Ohio to Illinois for example, you encourage others to fight
for the limited time and footprint left.

Lastly, not sure how many can use the SSB birds.  It seems many times I have
called or searched an 11-minute VO-52 pass and heard no one.  If you want to
discuss wx, your gallbladder etc, well AO-7, FO-29 and VO-52 are great birds
for that.  Common sense.

Greg
N3MVF