[amsat-bb] Re: Slightly Off Topic...Iranian satellite Transmitting Continuously

Gordon J. C. Pearce MM3YEQ gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Tue Feb 10 06:59:52 PST 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-10 at 09:43 -0500, Armando Mercado wrote:
> (Off topic content here so look away if offended...)
> Hello,
> Iran's first satellite is now reported to be transmitting a 20
> second, 1 KHz tone every 100 seconds.  Frequency
> is 464.9875 to 465.0125 MHz.  Omid was previously
> obsevered transmitting only on passes passing over
> Iran.  I have not heard it yet but will be listening.
> See the following for more:
> http://www.zarya.info/Tracking/Omid/OmidObservations2.php
> 73, Armando  N8IGJ

I recorded something that sounds like telemetry on one of its early
orbits, but nothing much since.  I did hear the 1kHz tone a day or so
after it was launched.  You can hear my recording on the Wikipedia page
for Omid.

Glad to hear it's still up there and working - I'll have another listen
on the next pass!

  Gordon MM3YEQ