[amsat-bb] Portable Power for USB Devices

Clint Bradford clintbradford at mac.com
Mon Dec 14 09:47:06 PST 2009

UPDATE 12/13/09: I have run the ZAGG spark portable power pack through
a couple charge cycles. It is impressive. I am working on a deal where
if you purchase one, $10 will be sent to AMSAT. Stay tuned ... I will
be creating a Web page with detailed information. - Clint Bradford,

Ever wanted more battery life from your iPod / PDA / cell phone or
other device
that charges via USB? Of course we have.

The company name, ZAGG, might not ring a bell with you. But more of
you have
heard of the InvisibleSHIELD line they market - IMHO the best of the
protectors for our PDA and cellphone screens.

Well, ZAGG just introduced what appears to be the best of the
"portable USB
device power packs" available.

Although the ZAGGsparq is marketed as being "able to charge an Apple
iPhone up
to four times," I see it being used for a lot more applications.

Physically, it's 3.5 x 3.5 x 1" in size. Its Lithium Polymer battery
pack is
rated at 6000mAH - that's SIX AMPS in your little pack. Only the
Amstron PP66S
has that capacity ... but the ZAGG offers more features than the

ZAGGspark works with any of your devices that uses a USB cord for
Plus, it provides TWO USB ports for charging your mobile devices when
into an AC outlet.

Weighs a tad over a half-pound. Four LEDs indicate the pack's power
(25% / 50% / 75% / 100%).

I just ordered one, and will immediately put it to use. It's going to
power my
Verizon MiFi 2200 and Apple 32GB iPod touch. I'll report back how it

Clint Bradford