[amsat-bb] Re: A Fully Rechargeable Satellite Station

Greg D. ko6th_greg at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 28 22:40:07 PDT 2009

Hi Tim,

This is great; I've thought about the off-grid aspects of the hobby as well (but not done much about it yet).

One question...  what accommodations have you made for the recharging of the batteries?  Given that AC power may not be available for some time (longer than one charge), do you use a 12v (automobile) -> 120vac inverter and regular charge equipment, or something custom?  I know some radios can run from AA dry cells (e.g. my Kenwood TH-D7, and the HP-100LX Palmtop which I can run FODTrack on), but not the laptop.

Just curious,

Greg  KO6TH