[amsat-bb] Re: QSLs for my recent demonstrations and trips...

Patrick STODDARD (WD9EWK/VA7EWK) amsat-bb at wd9ewk.net
Thu Apr 2 09:29:41 PDT 2009

Hi Tim!

> Thanks for the update, and thanks for all of your efforts to activate grids
> from all over the desert southwest.

You're welcome!

I have tried to get QSL cards sent out quickly after my trips in the past
year or so.  I slipped behind on these cards, and some had mailed me
an SASE and also received a few e-mails asking about those cards.
I had not forgotten about the cards, and - for those contacts I made as
XE2/WD9EWK - I knew I would need to send out cards to get some in
return.  My February trip won't get me a satellite VUCC by itself for my
operating on the Mexican side of DM22, but it could be a good start
toward that.

> I haven't done this nearly as much as you, but I know that it takes planning
> and some work to accomplish. It's a lot of fun to work a pass from (1) a
> fairly nonactive grid or (2) a grid or state folks need, but the fun doesn't
> mitigate the effort involved.


There aren't as many resources for satellite operators to determine what is
a rare grid, unlike our counterparts in the 6m realm.  I use e-mails with some
long-time satellite operators and web sites like the one WI7P (ex-N7SFI) has
to get some historical reference on grids.  For more recent times, I have
e-mailed other operators to get their lists or maps of grids worked/confirmed
or some feedback on the topic.  As for rare states, those seem to mirror
what you would expect to find on the HF bands or 6m.

To find locations that fall on grid boundaries, good atlases or maps with
latitude/longitude are a good start for that.  Google Earth or Google Maps
are great.  You can put latitude/longitude into those instead of an address,
and then look on those maps to see how accessible a particular location
happens to be.

For those of us who travel beyond our home countries or territories, then
you must add in another step - ensuring you have the appropriate license
or permit to operate from wherever you go.  Some countries require no
application, others have a permit available for free simply by applying for
it, then there are others that want the paperwork and $$$.  For my trip to
Mexico, that country definitely falls into the last category (US$ 80 for the
6-month permit when I applied in February, then another US$ 18 for a
"tourist card" entry visa - you don't have to pay for that separately if you
fly into Mexico).

> Thank you again for your regular trips. I appreciate them very much.

After last year focusing on working from different grids, I might try to find
some interesting places or places with interesting names to work from
during 2009.  If I get the chance to go to other unusual grids, I won't
pass up the chance.  And, yes, I'm still having fun.  :-)



More information about the AMSAT-BB mailing list