[amsat-bb] Re: Telemetry + S-meter readings

i8cvs domenico.i8cvs at tin.it
Mon Sep 29 11:09:45 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Edward Cole" <kl7uw at acsalaska.net>
To: <amsat-bb at amsat.org>; "i8cvs" <domenico.i8cvs at tin.it>
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2008 4:42 PM
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Re: Telemetry

> Domenico,
>
> Yes, thanks for providing the S+N/N as this is indeed what one reads
> on the s-meter.  The amount of dB/S-unit varies greatly by radio
> (theoretically it should be 6-dB/S-unit).  I find on my FT-847 that
> the calibration of the s-meter is anywhere from 6-db to 3-dB per unit
> and is non-linear.  One needs to calibrate their individual radio to
> trully know what the s-meter is indicating. S0 to S1 on my radio is about
> 5-dB.
>
> 73, Ed

Hi Ed, KL7UW

I agree with you.

About the " Standardization of S-meter readings at the IARU Region 1
Conference in Miskolc-Tapolca (1978) the following recommendation
was adopted :

IARU Region 1 adopts as a provisional standard the value of 6 dB
for the " S-point", and this value will be recommended to manufacturers
of equipment.

At the meeting of the IARU Region 1 VHF/UHF/SHF/ Committee in
Dusseldorf (April 1989) the following recommendation was adopted,
and later approved by the IARU Region 1 Executive Committee:

The S9 reference level for frequency bands of 144 MHz and above is
-93 dBm available signal power at the receiver input.

Following the above recommendation and using an HP-8640B Signal
Generator I have recalibrated the S-meter readings of my Kenwood
TS-790E

Best 73" de

i8CVS Domenico