[amsat-bb] Re: Kenpro elevation rotor repair

Roy rdwelch at swbell.net
Sat Sep 27 13:46:43 PDT 2008

Hi Guys,

My two cents worth.  It looks like Sebastian has made all of the
checks.  I assume the rotor will not move in either direction.  It's
possible that something had fallen into the gear train, jamming the
works but it does sound more like a bad motor.  Have you measured all of
the voltages and especially the resistance values on the motor leads as
shown in the owner's manual?  If the resistances all look good and the
supply voltages are good then I would check the resistance from each
motor lead to the metal case to see if there is a short circuit to the
rotor housing.  I'm not sure but in some countries RFI hash protection
has been added to the rotor circuitry consisting of small RF chokes and
capacitors mounted inside the rotor case.  For example, my Emoto rotors
don't have it but the versions sold in some European countries do have
it.  You might check to see if there is a similar thing in your rotor
and that there are no failures there.  I doubt that this is the problem
however.  Good luck.

Roy -- W0SL

--
Roy