[amsat-bb] Re: FO-29

n3tl@bellsouth.net n3tl at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 25 08:08:04 PDT 2008

For what it's worth, guys ... any day can be QRP day.

I'll soon be applying for the AMSAT Achievement Award using confirmed contacts that were all made while I was transmitting 50 milliwatts RF out from my Yaesu VX-7R, on 2 AA Duracells - the same set of AA Duracells, actually. I ended up making 51 contacts at 50 mW RF out, and another 3 at 300 mW RF out, from that one set of Duracells.

Only 4 of the 20 contacts I'll use for the Achievement Award came on AO-51's QRP pair of 145.880 up and 435.300 down. The other 16 contacts included all three Mode-J FM LEO satellites during operation on the standard V/U pairs. It took me six days of operating to wear out the Duracells, and I ended up with 20 states, Ontario, Mexico and Venezuela worked. The highlight for me was state No. 20, thanks to Mark, WA8SME - it was my first-ever contact (any mode, any band) with W1AW. That was cool!

So any time you'd like a QRP day, just reduce the output power and go for it!

73 to all,

Tim - N3TL
AMSAT Member No. 36820
Athens, Ga. - EM84ha