[amsat-bb] Re: Polarity questions

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sat Sep 20 23:29:15 PDT 2008

On Sep 20, 2008, at 2:07 PM, Edward Cole wrote:

> At 01:53 AM 9/20/2008, Luc Leblanc wrote:
>> On 20 Sep 2008 at 0:56, Nate Duehr wrote:
>> ======snip

That was a weird snip... made it look like my comments were left in
that question and statement from Luc.

I do have a question for the polarity gurus, however...

When *transmitting* circular vs. linear polarity, are the apparent
losses the reverse of the numbers being used for receiving?  I am
inclined to think that has to be true.

Or to put it as a question:  With all else being equal, including
antenna gain numbers...

How much more power has to be put into a circularly-polarized antenna
versus a linearly polarized one of the same gain, to have a distant
station receive the same signal if they're linearly polarized?

I'm purposely coming at this from the "other" direction... the
transmit side, instead of what is seen at the receiver.

This is mostly a mental exercise to see if I "get it".  So if it's a
goofy way to analyze it, ignore that for a moment...

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X
nate at natetech.com