[amsat-bb] Re: Polarity questions

Sebastian w4as at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 19 07:41:27 PDT 2008

Tim, let me tell you my experience.  I use the old Cushcraft AOP-1
antennas.  10x2 elements on 2 meters, and 8x2 on 440.

I have them in an X pattern, and I can hear and transmit to the birds
pretty much throughout the entire pass.

These antennas are old, and were designed during the days of AO-10 &
AO-13.  But I have restored them, and they still work great for me
today (except for DO-64).  It amazes me that I can drop my output to 5
watts and still hear myself loud and clear on AO-7 as it gets close to
LOS.

I would concentrate most of all on good quality coax.  I use LMR400,
about 80 feet of it, with a TS-2000.  I don't use a preamp and my
antennas are up about 25 feet and I have a blast!

73 de W4AS
Sebastian