[amsat-bb] Andy W5ACM is fine - Re: BOD and President

Andy MacAllister w5acm at swbell.net
Mon Sep 15 21:39:33 PDT 2008

Hi Bruce & AMSAT,

I won't attempt to comment on ducks and such, but will report that all is OK
at W5ACM. I will be ready for the Houston AMSAT Net tomorrow evening, but
with a rather diminished 2M antenna. Prior to the arrival of Ike, I took
everything down except for a dual-band (20M & 40M) inverted V and put a 2M
ground plane in place of the 2M, 70cm, 23cm, 13cm and 10M satellite
antennas. It's not pretty, but it survived the winds. That's a lot more than
I can say for a short section of yard fence and about half of an 80 ft tree
in the front yard. I have spent a lot of time playing with generators,
inverters and electric chain saws. It's back to work as usual, but there are
still a lot of lose ends on the home front. At least I have intermittant
water and electricity most of the time. The phone and internet connections
come and go, but they are mostly good. Out on the streets, the gas lines are
not bad, but they exist. About 20% of the traffic lights work, another 20%
are blinking red. The rest are dark. There are lots of dark areas at night,
exploding transformers and sirens. It's amazing stuff! I now get credit for
being in Houston for Carla (1961), Alicia (1983) and Ike (2008). Perhaps I
should move to Minnesota...

Now we need to hear from Marty. I hope his twisted pair works...

I will see you on the Houston AMSAT Net!
http://www.amsatnet.com

73 de Andy W5ACM
http://www.w5acm.net