[amsat-bb] AO-51 L/S MODE

Luc Leblanc lucleblanc6 at videotron.ca
Mon Sep 8 08:25:34 PDT 2008

Using the same S band converter that i was using with AO-40 i succeed to have some QSO on AO-51 VE2NPC and another station but i am not
100% sure of his callsign.

First i think Squidly Diddly will be the type of operator best equipped to handle my station in L/S mode on a LEO sat. I am using my PCR-
1000 to have a graphical display of my up converter output on the scope display. Since my first attempt on L/S mode i found very hard to be
on the right uplink frequency. This morning pass i heard Clare VE3NPC transmitting a couple of time to find the right uplink frequency on
my side even adjusting as per the Orbitron doppler corrected uplink i was always out of the satellite L band receiver until i start to
adjust my TX frequency lower and higher than the program displayed frequency. I ended up with a 15KC higher than the "supposed" doppler
corrected frequency on Orbitron?

Could be my upconverter is not properly aligned or the scope display on the PCR-1000 software is not too exact at 1.268GHZ?

At the end i will have to set the satellite RX frequency 15KC up to be able to get in the RX pass band.

Next step is to have my uplink frequency controlled by my PC as i need 2 additional arm here in the shack!

Bottom line L/S is feasable and with some tweeking it can probably matched the V/S mode +- the obstacles and foliage blocking in the path.

"-"

Luc Leblanc VE2DWE
Skype VE2DWE
www.qsl.net/ve2dwe