[amsat-bb] Re: How best to park your satellite antennas

i8cvs domenico.i8cvs at tin.it
Tue Sep 2 10:16:30 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Graham Shirville" <g.shirville at btinternet.com>
To: <amsat-bb at amsat.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 6:35 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] How best to park your satellite antennas

> Hi all,
>
> I cannot remember this question being discussed before!
>
> If you have a nice array of VHF and UHF antennas - 2 stacked X  8 foot
long yagis one ach band plus a 2 foot S band dish, is it best from wind
> vertically pointing straight up (the dish has a hole at the bottom)
> pointing to the horizon towards the prevailing wind
> somewhere else?
>
> I know that at SSTL in Guildford they are usually parked pointing straight
up but I have never been able to find anyone with a really good explanation
for doing so.

> If you look at 193.51.07.114 you can see the sort of array that I am
talking about!

> Many thanks
>
> Graham
> G3VZV

Hi Graham, G3VZV

Pointing straight up with the main supporting boom in direction of the
dominant wind is the best because the dish will offer the minimum surface
to the wind while both yagi's are aligned in a way to be seen by the wind as
about a single antenna.

The above is my experience with less damages into the windy gulf of Naples

73" de

i8CVS Domenico