[amsat-bb] Re: Computer hardware

Alan ve4yz at mts.net
Fri Oct 3 18:53:10 PDT 2008

I agree the D600 and other Dell refurbished notebooks are a good way to go.
Generic memory and/or HD upgrades are readily available at your local
computer shop or nationally at places such as TigerDirect.com

Just Google "Dell D600 Refurbished" and get stuff such as

My personal preference is the D800

which is about the same price, larger ( thicker ) and was sold originally as
a desktop replacement for business.  You can swap out the DVD for a second
battery.  Again, generic component replacements ( memory upgrades, HD,
batteries, A/C adapters, etc ) are everywhere.

My D800 is my dedicated ham radio PC and I keep all the neat new ham
software and experimenting away from my mission critical PC.

That being said, the 2 USB ports are never enough nor the one serial port so
I run a powered USB hub and serial/usb converters.  e.g. A serial port for a
PacComm for Wisp, serial CAT for FT847 on a USB converter, and a bunch of
other USB connections for LVB Tracker, printer, external hard disk etc.

These old business work horses are fast enough for any ham work I do.

... Alan