[amsat-bb] MMIC for LEO preamp?

Curt Nixon cptcurt at flash.net
Wed Nov 26 07:19:50 PST 2008

SO...now I have made a few contacts on AO-51 and SO-50.  Now I need to
get better ears.

I have a very simple mode J setup using a couple of old mobil rigs--the
rx unit is an IC 2350H.  10 el cheap yagi through 60ft of LMR400.

I'm considering options for a mast preamp for rx only. I'll be using a
diplexer for desense ahead of it, and eventually add coaxial switching
so I can use TX.

I'll feed with power through extra wire in rotor cable.

Looking at the Hamtonics, DEMI kit and a hombrew from scratch.

1.  Any experiences with the DEMI units as kits?

2.  with there relatively high NF, are the MMIC devices like the ERA
series, at all appropriate for simple mast preamps for entry level
application?

Thanks to all.

Curt
KU8L