[amsat-bb] Re: 9 Cubesats selected for free ESA ride to space

i8cvs domenico.i8cvs at tin.it
Sun Jun 8 13:34:20 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arthur Feller" <afeller at ieee.org>
To: "John Marranca, Jr" <KB2HSH at amsat.org>
Cc: <amsat-bb at amsat.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2008 8:10 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: 9 Cubesats selected for free ESA ride to space

> On 8 Jun 2008, at 07:54, John Marranca, Jr wrote:
>
> > Am I missing something here?
>
> I think so.
>
> Let's take a look at the definition of the amateur service.
>
> "Amateur Service:  A radiocommunication service for the purpose of
> self-training, intercommunication and technical investigations carried
> out
> by amateurs, that is, duly authorised persons interested in radio
> technique
> solely with a personal aim and without pecuniary interest."  [RR 1.56]
>
> Most folks around the world read this as meaning that amateurs are:
>
> [1] "duly authorized," that is, licensed
>
> [2] "persons," that is, individual, human type people (not families,
> clubs, schools, or corporations)
>
> [NOTE:  Even club station licenses have a licensed individual, who is
> individually responsible for operation of the club station, serving as
> trustee of the license.]
>
> [3] "with a personal aim and without pecuniary interest," that is,
> only for themselves and without compensation of any kind.
>
> In this world of very high priced access to radio frequencies, our
> amateur service is quite unique.  Our access is by examination and not
> a fee.  The frequencies are available to us, individual people.  The
> frequencies are not available to any kind of group or institution or
> corporation.  These frequencies are not available who stand to gain
> from their use beyond their own personal interest.  (An experimental
> service is available for commercial interests.)
>
> To me, our frequency allocations require protection from those who
> look them as frequencies of convenience, that is, a way to avoid going
> through the normal licensing and frequency coordination process.
>
> Suggest reading this paper submitted to the IARU Region 1 meeting.
http://www.ok2kkw.com/iaru/ct08_c5_03%20iaru%20c5%20support%20for%20satellit
e%20frequency%20coordination.pdf

> It's easy to look to someone with money, like a school, to provide
> amateurs with resources we may not be able to afford readily.  In my
> personal opinion, the price may be too high to assure an amateur
> service in years to come.
>
> FWIW, the IARU Panel does not try to judge whether a frequency
> coordination request is legitimate, in terms of the radio
> regulations.  Rather, guidance from the IARU to the Panel is that such
> a determination is a matter for administrations, that is, the part of
> each government responsible for complying with obligations undertaken
> in the International Telecommunication Convention.  The best the Panel
> can hope to do is try to keep the bands reasonably well organized so
> as to maximize use and minimize interference.  Not an easy task.
>
> Just one guy's ramblings.  I hope you find them helpful.
>
> 73, art.....
> W4ART  Arlington VA
>
> Life is short.  Be swift to love!  Make haste to be kind!
>          - Henri Frederic Amiel, philosopher and writer (1821-1881)

Hi Art, W4ART

I  agree  100% with what you write...........

I was reading the above paper presented by the satellite Advisor ZS6AKV
and agree with him.

I know Hans personally because I meet him during the IARU Region 1
Conference 1999 in Lillehammer when I was the Delegate into the C-5
Commission for ARI i.e. the IARU member Society in Italy.

The main problem here is that the Universities are able to bypass both our
national IARU member societies and our AMSAT national organizations
and they get directly in contact with ESA

If you read here:

http://www.esa.int/esaED/SEM2BPUG3HF_index_0.html

you will see that IARU and AMSAT are not mentioned at all and this
is why I says:

"But once they have the ESA/NASA/JAXA-sponsored GENSO project
running, they will probably even not need our help anymore, but only our
frequencies !!! "

Best 73" de

i8CVS Domenico