[amsat-bb] Re: LEO launch?

G0MRF@aol.com G0MRF at aol.com
Sun Jul 27 12:56:57 PDT 2008

In a message dated 27/07/2008 19:32:26 GMT Standard Time, w7lrd at comcast.net

Near the  end of this article they mention a LEO launch vehicle.  Something
to  think  about!
73  Bob W7LRD

Hi Bob.
Sadly I think the general approach to Virgin Galactic's space tourism is
incompaible with small satellites as we know them.
The Virgin / Rutan plan takes people into space, but with zero relative
velocity to the earth. This means that gravity will cause their spaceship 2 and
any satellite to fall straight back down.
To achieve orbit, the satellite would need propulsion capable of generating
about 18,000 miles per hour of 'horizontal' motion + a bit more altitude would
 be nice too. Easier than launching from the earth. No friction from the
atmosphere, but still a very difficult task.