[amsat-bb] Re: AMSAT NA

JoAnne Maenpaa k9jkm at comcast.net
Wed Jul 16 11:17:52 PDT 2008

Hi Joe,

> ... what could possibly be wrong with making the HEO effort
> an international undertaking with maximum resources focused
> on a single goal.

Perhaps its not as grim as it appears via the messages on the -bb.  Here is an excerpt from a headline news item that was on the front page of http://www.amsat.org.  It has been replaced by more current items, but AMSAT-NA, AMSAT-UK, and AMSAT-DL have a significant team effort going for P3E - including cash funding:

AMSAT Groups Make Donation to AMSAT-DL to Facilitate Completion of P3E Satellite

Following a meeting between representatives of the AMSAT groups from North America (AMSAT-NA), The United Kingdom (AMSAT-UK), and Germany (AMSAT-DL), a decision has been made by AMSAT-NA and AMSAT-UK to donate a total of 40,000 Euros to AMSAT-DL for the purpose of funding the continued operation of the "Zentrales Entwicklungslabor for Electronik", (Central Development Lab for Electronics, aka "The ZEL").

Still 40,000 Euros or anything in wallets our size doesn't come too close to that $6 Million!  This was also covered in the ANS news bulletins and in the AMSAT Journal when the story was new.  Unfortunately amsat-bb by itself can be misleading sometimes.

AMSAT-NA and AMSAT-DL share common modules such as the CanDo! bus interface, housekeeping computer, HELAPS power amplifier.  G6LVB wrote the SDR software for P3E so it is already a significant international effort.

> Based on your comments, PE3 doesn't stand a chance of getting off
> the ground unless the Europeans have some political leverage which
> they may have.  Has anyone from AMSAT-NA asked them?

The cost of launching P3E was mentioned by AMSAT-DL at the Friedrichshafen Ham Radio 2008 convention at the end of June (Bulletin ANS-188.01). What I heard verbally at the 2007 AMSAT Symposium in Pittsburgh was that the rideshare opportunity being investigated with Intelsat is not only limited to AMSAT-NA.  Intelsat has said they will drop off rideshare satellites compatible with their primary mission (business-case) into LEO, Geosync-Transfer-Orbit (our HEO), or geosynchronous orbit.  Depending how high you wish their taxi-service to take you the price varies between $2M and $6M.  This includes P3E and Eagle/Phase IV.

Again, a launch of a radio for a bunch of fellas to yack on no longer seems to be a valid business case!

73 de JoAnne K9JKM
k9jkm at amsat.org