[amsat-bb] ISS Rptr Monday 4-08

MM ka1rrw at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 5 09:20:52 PST 2008

ISS repeater Pass Monday Feb 5, 2008

It was a good repeater night.  My QTH had an 82 degree
pass.  It was hard not to have a good signal.

Charlie N3CRT:
Suggested we try Narrow FM.  My Yeasu FT-736 supports
2.5 and 5k deviation FM. So I tried it and I do agree
the Narrow 2.5k FM seems to work Better.  I had many
solid contacts last night.
How did my audio sound?

Your Audio was Great last night. Nice and clear, no
distortion and Full Quieting.  I am jealous, hi hi.

I only heard a few people without headphones last
night and still a few that were over modulating.  One
station got a good lock and I could hear his children
playing in the background (Mic gain too high).

I updated my short tips list to include Narrow FM.

Use the minimal power.

Compensate for Doppler on 437.800 (Try for an error of
less than 2khz)

Set your FM deviation to Low (2.5khz verses 5 kHz)

Speak Softly and slow (Loud Audio will pop you out of
the receiver)

Full Duplex users must wear headphones

Noise Floor: Your signal will not decode until you are
least 6-12 db above the noise floor at the Space

QRP stations may want to plan for OFF hours when most
people local to you are Sleeping or at Work.