[amsat-bb] Re: Elk Antenna vs Arrow Antenna

i8cvs domenico.i8cvs at tin.it
Sat Dec 27 10:35:29 PST 2008

Hi Nigel,

PL-259 is NOT a constant impedance connector while N connectors
or C, BNC, TNC, SMA are constance impedance and this make a great
difference matching devices to 50 ohm when the frequency becames high
and the lenght of a PL-259 is a considerable part of a wavelenght.

Figure out what happens using a PL-259 at 10 GHz i.e. at a wavelenght
of 3 cm

Since N/m (male connector) or N/f (female connectors ) are constant
impedance provided they are properly assembled to the coax cable they
can be used up to 12 GHz

For additional informations read the following page.

73" de

i8CVS Domenico