[amsat-bb] Re: OSCAR - Acronym for...?

Clint Bradford clintbrad4d at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 4 17:30:23 PDT 2008

Damnation...another old article with "OrbitAL" ...

Space&Beyond: The First Repeater in the Sky

By Anthony R. Curtis, K3RXK
Contributing Editor
March 6, 2002

Why do we call our satellites OSCAR? Because the first four Amateur
Radio satellite projects that flew in 1961-1965 were managed by
pioneering hams in a US West Coast group known as Project OSCAR--an
acronym that stands for Orbital Satellite Carrying Amateur Radio.
AMSAT, the Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation, was formed in 1969, by
an East Coast group wanting to build and fly hamsats.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS / KAF3359