[amsat-bb] Re: A reminder re: phonetic alphabet and digits... (N7JK)
jkopala at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 22:02:49 PDT 2008
Dale and Pat, I'd like to add a few more comments. I know the passes are
I've observed a lot of time wasted by multiple stations transmitting at the
not letting a station finish their exchange, and the use of excessive power.
stations don't have a chance when big guns blasting away with gobs of power.
The other night a K1...
station was obliterated and stomped on. How many "1" calls do you hear
Please folks, especially on the busy FM birds. A chaos is inevitable, but
we can minimize it if we...
1. Run the minimum power necessary to reach the satellite - 5 watts or less
if your radio allows.
2. Listen for the weak station operators.
3. Operate full duplex so you can hear the downlink while transmitting.
4. Be patient and let others complete their exchange. If we stomp on each
other nobody wins.
5. If you hear multiple stations (usually just a grunge sound) on the
downlink, stop transmitting.
Nobody makes a contact when everybody transmits at the same time.
6. If you can't hear the downlink, don't keep transmitting. Just because
you can't hear the bird
doesn't mean that the bird can't hear you and that you are not interfering
7. We all mess up from time to time, so be patient with us.
8. Oh, and did I say, "Use the minimum power necessary....?"
And yes, I'm probably preaching to the choir, but I guess we all need to be
reminded from time to time.
John Kopala - N7JK
From: Dale-KL7XJ <daleh at alaska.net>
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: A reminder re: phonetic alphabet and digits...
To: amsat-bb at wd9ewk.net
Cc: amsat-bbs <amsat-bb at amsat.org>
Message-ID: <480E562F.6020501 at alaska.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
I have been diligently waiting and trying to work the XE stations. It is as
exciting for me
as I suppose it for them. The other night I had a call from XE2BRL I was
not sure on
his suffix so I asked him to repeat to be sure and when he came back he was
up by QRM by other stations trying to get him that I never was able to
QSO or grid squares. I know the passes are short but for fringe area to
fringe are on
the foot print I sure wish folks would give some consideration. I try to
transmissions short and consider other folks needs over mine. I will keep
I do have confirmation from Japan on the other hand... That was pretty
Dale - KL7XJ
More information about the AMSAT-BB