[amsat-bb] Re: how about an amsat moon mission?

w8iss@wideopenwest.com w8iss at wideopenwest.com
Sun Sep 30 06:09:30 PDT 2007

The thing here is going to be SURVIVALBILITY!  Can we as a all-volunteer
organization make this happen on say a 5 Million US dollar budget and NOT
exceed that like what happened with AO-40? AO-40 was a complex machine and a
very demanding task set for AMSAT that DID accomplish some of its goals, but
do we have the time, budget, and WILLINGNESS to accomplish this in the group?
This has been discussed a few times over the past couple of years and I have
mentioned then that we should start working on drafting a plan for just such
an opportunity like this.

Here's the things that are going to have to be overcome:
1) Can we design something that will last the rigors of going from extreme
   cold of space to the extreme heat that will be beating down on it and have
   it cycle through a few of these before quitting?
2) What bands should we use? What do the treaties that all of our countries
   have signed allow us to use on another planet? That is something that has
   NOT been brought up. Everyone seems to want 2m and 70cm for this, but are
   ALLOWED to use those frequencies on such a project?
3) Can we find a suitable launch opportunity and can we afford it on such a
   shoestring budget and still make a little money to fund our other projects
   like Eagle and Phase 3E?

James W8ISS