[amsat-bb] Re: Mounting antennas on a tower & Don't forget the PREAMP!

Edward Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Sat Sep 22 12:36:51 PDT 2007

Regarding mounting satellite antennas on a mast above a HF antenna:
1- If center-mounted one must set the elevation rotor high enough so
that when pointing straight up the sat antennas clear the HF antenna
(already stated).
2- If end-mounted, the elevation rotor can be mounted lower but this
will cause unbalanced loading of the elevation rotor.  (for short Leo
antennas no problem, but if this is being designed for P3E, Eagle and
other Heos then the 2m and 70cm beams probably will have longer booms
(my KLM 22C and M2 436CP42 are 18-foot long and not designed for end-mounting).
3. If the HF beam and satellite array are rotated by the same azimuth
rotator here is a idea:  Mount the satellite antennas pointed in
azimuth at right angles to the HF beam so that when elevated the
VHF/UHF antennas can rotate between the HF elements.  You would not
be able to rotate elevation horizon to horizon due to the HF boom but
this would permit a lower position on the main mast (for
auto-tracking this might be a problem).  In fact the satellite
antenna rear ends may project below the tower top when fully elevated
(but not below guy cables if used for tower).

73 Ed - KL7UW