[amsat-bb] Amateur Satellite VHF Allocation

Trevor m5aka at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 30 02:37:44 PDT 2007

There has been some discussion over the past year about the need for an Amateur
Satellite allocation at 50-51 MHz.

With yesterday's news about Amateur Operation in the form of experimental
beacons at 40 MHz perhaps in 5-10 years time we may be able to get a few
hundred kHz for Amateur Satellite at 40 MHz as well ? It certainly would be low
doppler shift and low path loss.

73 Trevor M5AKA
----
First 40 MHz Amateur Radio Propagation Beacon On The Air

Ivan OZ7IS has announced that the first 40 MHz Amateur Radio propagation beacon
OZ7IGY is now on the air on 40.021 MHz

Background:
The European Radiocommunications Office (ERO – now ERC) of the CEPT launched in
March 1993 Phase II of a Detailed Spectrum Investigation (DSI) covering the
frequency range 29.7 - 960MHz.

The results were presented to Administrations in March 1995 with the objective
of facilitating a European Table of Frequency Allocations and Utilisations to
be implemented by the year 2008.

Regarding the Amateur Radio Service the DSI Management Team recommended (among
other things) that 70 MHz to be considered as an amateur band AND: “frequencies
in the vicinity of 40.680MHz be considered for amateur propagation beacons”.

During the IARU, Region 1, C5 meeting in Vienna earlier this year David, G4ASR,
told that the RSGB were planning such a 40 MHz beacon. I promised him to take a
similar initiative when returning to Denmark.

In July the GB3RAL 40.050 & 60.050 MHz VHF beacons were approved and shortly
after OZ7IGY received the permit to operate on 40,021 MHz.

On 26th of July (after paying the licence fee) at 18.20 UTC OZ7IGY became
operational on:

40,021 MHz near Jystrup (Ringsted), JO55wm, 97 masl / 5 magl.
The antenna is a dipole heading 255 / 75 degrees. Will shortly be changed to a
Turnstile (X-dipole).
The output to the antenna is 22 Watt keying in F1A (frequency Shift Keying)
according to the IARU, Region 1, standard. 250 Hz shift.

The “licence” is valid for a year and the results of the experiments are to be
reported to the ITST.

The “licence” is “experimental” on a non-inteference basis and will not create
a precedent for any other kind of amateur radio activities in this part of the
spectrum!

Please report to DX-summit whenever you hear the beacon. Then we can collect
data for the report to ITST and may be able to argue for a renewal of the
licence next year?

In 1993 the head of ERO was David Court, EI3IO (G3SDL, OZ3SDL etc
.) I have a
feeling that without his “stamp” on the DSI report we would not have had the
ever increasing access to 70 MHz throughout Europe or these 40 MHz amateur
propagation beacons!

Vy 73 de OZ7IS, Ivan  - Email: oz7is at qrz.dk
Beaconkeeper – OZ7IGY - http://www.oz7igy.dk/

P.S. We are looking for circulators/ Isolators for the 40 and 50 MHz beacons to
avoid backwards intermodulation in the PA stages. We are covered on all other
bands but circulators for these frequencies are hard to find as surplus
equipment! Can anyone help? Please!
----

Related URL's

GB3RAL now licenced for 40 and 60 MHz (7th July)
http://www.southgatearc.org/news/july2007/gb3ral.htm

Denmark to get 40 MHz beacon (19th July)
http://www.southgatearc.org/news/july2007/danish_40mhz_beacon.htm

----

73 Trevor M5AKA
Daily Amateur Radio RSS News: http://www.southgatearc.org/