[amsat-bb] Re: AO-51 SSB/FM mode

Alan P. Biddle APBIDDLE at UNITED.NET
Thu Jul 26 05:21:49 PDT 2007

Pat,

My experience was that more power was needed using the SSB RX to reach an
audio level on the downlink comparable to the normal FM-FM modes.  A _very_
rough experimental number would be around 10-15 db more on the uplink.
Still a very modest amount, but many were just not hitting it hard enough.
By comparison, VE3NPC, WA8SME, and a couple of others sounded exactly as
they do normally.  My FM deviation is set from menu, and a deviation meter,
so I don't touch it in FM modes.  I had to slap myself alongside the head on
SSB-FM to remind myself to turn it up.

No question that this is a trickier mode to operate.  As you know, you need
to think outside the FM-FM box a bit.  Hi Hi!

73s,

Alan
WA4SCA