[amsat-bb] WD9EWK demonstration on 2 AO-51 passes tonight

Patrick STODDARD (WD9EWK/VA7EWK) amsat-bb at wd9ewk.net
Fri Jul 20 00:16:57 PDT 2007

Hi!

Thanks to all the stations who heard WD9EWK on AO-51 during two
passes this evening (0152-0203 and 0329-0343 UTC).  I was doing
another presentation/demonstration for the ThunderBird Amateur
Radio Club (W7TBC) at their monthly meeting, a follow-up to a
presentation/demonstration I gave in March.  This time, we were
trying to get club members set up to make their first satellite
contacts.  We had success on that front tonight, for a couple of
members.  We were at the Thunderbird School of Global
Management campus in Glendale, a west-side suburb of Phoenix,
in grid DM33vo:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=33.6219+n+112.1829+w&ie=UTF8&ll=33.622678,-112.182877&spn=0.007719,0.016351&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr&om=0

At the club's June meeting, kits for a WA5VJB "Cheap Yagi" for the
FM satellites were distributed (2 elements on 2m, 5 elements on 70cm,
plus the 2m/70cm "duplexer" or band splitter).  I think I counted 4 of
them at tonight's meeting, plus a few other club members had HTs
with telescoping-whip antennas ready to give it a try tonight.

The 0152-0203 UTC pass was a demonstration where the members
tested their gear on a low (15-degree) pass.  I made 7 contacts with
stations in Florida, Michigan, Mississippi, Arizona, Minnesota, and
central Mexico during that pass.  Between the two passes, the club
had their normal meeting and I had a question-and-answer session
along with time to verify radio setups for the later - and better (45
degrees maximum elevation to the west) - pass.

The later pass had a fair amount of activity.  Two of the club members
made satellite contacts on that pass.  Jeff W0NWA worked Bernardo
6I2HWB in southern Baja California (DL44), and Bob K7UNL worked
me (a real "DX" contact, separated by 20 feet or roughly 6m) followed
by Jeff K7WIN in southeastern Arizona (DM41).  I ended up with 8 QSOs
on the later pass with stations in California, Arizona, Mexico and
Canada.  A couple of members attempted to make contacts without
success, and others just listened to the pass.

Despite the heat - for the 0329 UTC pass, 2029 local time and the sun
setting about 30 to 45 minutes earlier, it was still 105F/41C outside with
a bit of humidity.  We had a great time, and for a couple of the club
members they now have satellite contacts for their logs.  We may do
another of these hands-on demonstrations in a few months, when it is
not so hot outside.  I let the club officers know I would be happy to do
this again with them at some later date.

Thanks to all the stations who made contacts with me along with W0NWA
and K7UNL this evening.  73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK - Phoenix, Arizona, USA
http://www.wd9ewk.net/