[amsat-bb] Re: Hy-Gain Yagi Antenna

Matt Bennett kaisermuche at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 8 22:46:36 PDT 2007

Hi Joe,

Our UCI CubeSat team (UCISAT) owns both antennas, and
the performance has been excellent. A notable use of
our 2m beam was when we activated RAFT's radar
transponder in a low EL, longshot pass just 3 days
before re-entry
(http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/craft/save-raft.html).
The combo has worked very well for LEOs, CubeSats, and
the ISS. My only gripe is assembly/disassembly of the
elements. Each element is secured with lock washers
which are difficult (but not impossible) to slide on,
and you have to break them off and replace if you need
to take the antennas apart for any reason. If you plan
to use them for a permanent station, then you just
have to worry about the first assembly. If you do pick
them up, make sure you take care to line up the
elements in the right order before locking down the
elements!

Hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any
other questions.

73,

Matt Bennett
KF6RTB