[amsat-bb] Re: 2.4 GHz for R/C use?

Michael Tondee mat_62 at netcommander.com
Wed Jul 4 16:37:43 PDT 2007

Hi Jim,
Yes, I didn't know either but the the systems have been in use for at
least a year now. They were first only used for the newer "park flyer"
type aircraft with fairly limited range. They are now approved for use
with conventional RC aircraft from the little ones all the way up to the
huge 40% scale planes. I'm not real well versed in the technology but I
do understand it's a  variation of the spread spectrum technique. The
first system that was out rapidly switches back and forth between a
couple of unused frequencies. The newer Futaba system rapidly switches
among many different frequencies. The advantage for RC pilots is that
there are no frequency conflicts. There is no need for channels and one
pilot cannot accidently "shoot down" another's aircraft.
I don't know the impact they have on S band, if any. They might
contribute to the overall problem with the ever increasing noise floor
on the band.
73,
Michael, W4HIJ