[amsat-bb] Re: PCSAT controller
bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jan 11 06:43:45 PST 2007
> What sort of computer / controller is on PCSAT ?
None, all of my sateliltes, PCSAT-1,2,ANDE,RAFT,MARScom are
nothing but KPC-3's or KPC-9612's. Just a TNC and a radio. I
use the built in telemetry, remote sysop and I/O commands for
all functions. The KPC-3+ gives me this:
1) Low power (15 mA)
2) serial port to any aux devices
3) password protected remote control
4) 5 channels of analog telemetry
5) 3 to 5 external ON/OFF and PULSE commands
6) Beacons, 4 bulletins, on any schedule
7) CW (if you want it)
8) Flying BBS (file store and forward)
9) APRS digipeater
A) GPS parsing and position reporting
And with an external $199 voice synthesizer, we get packet to
The KPC-9612+ gives all of the above PLUS
10) 1200 and 9600 baud ports
11) Cross baud digipeting
11) 6 to 8 ON/OFF commands lines
12) Additional 8 bit bidirectional I/O discretes
All we add are the needed relays and telemetry voltage dividers.
If we need more than 5 telemetry channels, we use some $2 analog
multiplexer chips to give us up to four frames of 5 each for a
total of 20 channels for PCSAT1,2 and ANDE.
Then we make clever use of all the hundred or so TNC commands
for everything we need to do...
More information about the AMSAT-BB