[amsat-bb] Re: The Amateur's Code

Tony Langdon vk3jed at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 02:10:24 PST 2007

At 12:31 PM 2/20/2007, Margaret Leber wrote:
>The Radio Amateur is

After all these years, this is still very appropriate, although I do
prefer a couple of modifications.

>CONSIDERATE...never knowingly operates in such a way as to lessen the
>pleasure of others.

>LOYAL...offers loyalty, encouragement and support to other amateurs,
>local clubs, and the American Radio Relay League, through which
>Amateur Radio in the United States is represented nationally and

<insert relevant country and national radio society here> ;)

>PROGRESSIVE...with knowledge abreast of science, a well-built and
>efficient station and operation above reproach.

Yep. :)

>FRIENDLY...slow and patient operating when requested; friendly advice
>and counsel to the beginner; kindly assistance, cooperation and
>consideration for the interests of others. These are the hallmarks of
>the amateur spirit.

Something we all need to keep in mind!  I certainly try as much as I can.

>BALANCED...radio is an avocation, never interfering with duties owed
>to family, job, school or community.

And one should keep the hobby in perspective as well :)

>PATRIOTIC...station and skill always ready for service to country
>and community.

I extend that to the global community (as a matter of fact, I seem to
spend more time in public service for the US than for Australia! :-) ).

73 de VK3JED