[amsat-bb] Re: Phase 4 versus Eagle

Anthony Monteiro aa2tx at comcast.net
Mon Dec 17 18:35:25 PST 2007

At 08:30 PM 12/17/2007, Nate Duehr wrote:
>This service will be coming from U.S. carriers who wouldn't even put
>battery/generator backup on most of their wireless POP's until told to
>do so by the FCC after Katrina:
>Even with the new ruling, the FCC only recommends that such sites
>operate for 8 hours on emergency power.

Hey Nate,

You may get a kick out of this. One of my buddies (an AMSAT member) here in
New England worked for the phone company and mentioned one night that
he had been dispatched during a miserable snow storm to a cell site with
a portable generator as power was out. After hooking it up, he had to stay
in his car and "babysit" the generator all night long. When I asked him why
he said that "otherwise, the generator would be stolen by the morning!"

Tony AA2TX