[amsat-bb] Re: Forming wire loops

SV1BSX sv1bsx at yahoo.gr
Fri Dec 7 18:51:34 PST 2007

 Hi Andrew & Amsat's

 about a year ago, I had the same question with you.

I had aluminium-wire 8mm and I was looking to form it as a  loop for VHF.

After several experiments, I found the best method.

Firstly, I use 2 "special tools"!

a) a "hot-air gun" 2 KW , very powerful tool. (I bought it from a big
General store for ...7 Euros!)
b) barbecue gloves  (these with high enough isolation from high

Now, by using a metallic barrel as tube (forma) with the appropriated
diameter for my loop,
I screw on it  the beginning of wire.

  Then I Fire-up the "Hot-air gun" and I try  to make hotter the wire,
slowly and carefully close
to the screw. When  the aluminium is hot-enough is much  easier to bend it
around of barrel, by handling
that with barbecue's glovers. Slowly & carefully, from the beginning to the
1/4, then to 1/2,
then to 3/4 till to the end of loop,  you can form it easily, always by
using the hot-air gun.

 You need enough time in order to make the loop, but I made 3 perfect loops
(like commercials !) by following this method.

Good luck

73, Mak SV1BSX