[amsat-bb] Planning

Jeff Davis, KE9V jl.davis at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 07:55:19 PDT 2007

Sat Friends,

Have you noticed the confluence of satellites scheduled to be launched
in 2009? With the recent SSETI-ESEO news it seems that there is a good
chance that P3E, SSETI and maybe even Eagle will fly in the 2009 time
frame (plus/minus the normal delays).

While that seems like a long time to have to wait, it also provides
the opportunity to begin planning a new groundstation that can take
advantage of the 2009 "Feast of Satellites."

It's been years since the AO-40 failure and over a decade since AO-13
went sub-orbital. I can't be the only satellite enthusiast who could
certainly do with a complete station overhaul?

I hope we will see much discussion on the -BB about assembling new
stations, new antennas and accessories. Since a person could invest a
lot of money on equipment, it would be useful to have some published
guidelines. Perhaps a series of articles in the Journal and other
publications will be forthcoming as we all prepare for a new
generation of satellite fun!

Just something to think about. Having to wait such a long time for
these projects to come to fruition is frustrating but it also offers
enough time to begin saving for new equipment and assembling and
testing everything required so we are all ready to use the new birds
when they appear on the horizon.

73, Jeff KE9V