[amsat-bb] FM on VO-52 or others

Thomas McGrane patrick.n2oeq at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 14:16:04 PDT 2007

Hello to bruce and the list, very thoughtful post bruce. I would like to add
to the discussion.

Using FM on VO-52 is not ignorant. We assume the world is as affluent as us
but even here in north america, there are many who do not have SSB equipment
as evidenced by the popularity of ao-51 and the lack of operators on VO-52

I tried FM on VO-52 last winter after my 2 meter all-mode gave up. Either I
didnt find my signal on the downlink or it was too weak for me to hear. I
tried once and that was that.

Not only do I think both modes should be supported, but I think the
satellites should be made more powerful for use by a larger number of
amateurs with readily avilable or common equipment. The amsat organisations
should work to satisfy a larger segment of the amateur community around the
world. As it is now, I say hello to the same people every time I get on for
the last 2 years. I know now, its always a good morning, hi hi.

Amsat worldwide should try to expand the number of users. When I make my
meager donations, they are for many future users, not just the members.

I read about KIWI and I am looking forward to it very much. It will be both
FM and SSB, very logical.

Thanks for the soapbox, pat n2oeq