[amsat-bb] RAFT Packet Operator assistance needed

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Apr 23 10:32:23 PDT 2007

We need AMSAT operator help with the RAFT satellite Test.

We need somone with a 2m beam and familiarity with packet that
lives in the Southern USA from Arizona to Georgia (AZ, NM, TX,
OK, MS, ALA, GA).

RAFT is at its mission life time half-way point, and we have not
been able to find anyone in the above footprint to help us
conduct the primary mission which was for the satellite to
detect its own passing through the DOD's radar fence.  When it
flies through the North American Space-Object fan beam, we
should hear about 1 second tone that anyone can hear on the
downlink.

Due to its low orbit and small footprint, turning on the Radar
Transponder can only be done in the shared footprint between the
radar transmitter in North Texas and the command station. The
ideal command station has
these atributes:

1) Lives in AZ, NM, TX, OK, AK, LA, MS, AL, GA, W.FLA
2) A reasonable 2m beam for ops on 145.825
3) A packet TNC
4) A familiarity with dumb-terminal TNC operations such as
   A. Connections, Converse, UNPROTO, etc
   B. Remote sysop logon to a Kantronics TNC

The objective of these southern command stations is to logon,
send the command to activate the RAFT Radar receiver for 1
minute in anticipation of passing through the fence.  Then
hopefully recording any audio heard on the downlink (145.825).
Of course, once the radar receiver is on, everyone in the
footprint should be able to hear it.

For info, see the ANDE-RAFT operations page:
http://eng.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/ande-raft-ops.html

Several AMSAT hams built this tiny Radar receiver as a possible
common device for all future HAMsats, and we would like to get
feedback on its performance.  But they all live up North.  If
you have a beam and familiarity with TNC's please let us know.

Bob, WB4APR.
US Naval Academy Satellite Lab