[amsat-bb] WD9EWK and AO-51 V/S, Saturday (2 Sep) morning

Patrick STODDARD (WD9EWK/VA7EWK) amsat-bb@wd9ewk.net
Sat Sep 2 12:45:07 PDT 2006

I took a short drive to a nearby park that straddles 112 degrees West
longitude (the DM33/DM43 boundary), and set up for a low western
pass for AO-51 around 1808-1818 UTC.  Maximum elevation was only
10 degrees, but I wanted to give it a try with my portable V/S setup
I've started using.  No contacts, but I know I could hear the S-band
downlink from about 4 or 5 degrees elevation from that location.  I
had a lot of time to talk to myself.  :-)  An impressive thing, the
AO-51 S-band downlink.  Very easy to hear even at low elevation,
and I'm hoping to try at least one pass tonight and one Sunday
morning before the mode change.

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK - Phoenix, Arizona USA